Friday, November 2, 2012

Lemon Herbed Baked Tofu over Mashed Potatoes with Sauteed Brussel Sprout Leaves

Hi everyone! How I've missed you all. I am so excited because I finally got batteries for my digital camera and thus am able to record my recipes again.  This one is fresh from today's lunch and  I hope you all enjoy it.

Lemon Herbed Baked Tofu over Mashed Potatoes with Sauteed Brussel Sprout Leaves



Is there anything more time consuming than peeling the leaves off a brussel sprout? Maybe but I certainly spent at least 30 minutes plucking mine the other day.  After about ten minutes into it I realized it would be a bit of a project and took a seat in my living room and watched a show on my computer as I plucked away.  I also came to realize that when you get to about the middle of the sprout and the leaves aren't really coming off anymore there is still a bit of edible brussel sprout left. Don't waste this part and throw it away!! I chopped up my leftover brussel sprout hearts and made a tasty brussel cole slaw from it for an other meal.

In any case, onto the recipe!

Ingredients:
1/2 block of extra firm tofu cut into six slices
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste

2 medium russet potatoes
2 garlic cloves minced
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
1/8 cup of soymilk or veggie broth
salt and pepper to taste

2 cups of brussel sprout leaves
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
drizzle of olive oil


Lemon Herbed Baked Tofu

Mix together the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, soy sauce and spices together in a shallow baking dish.  Marinate tofu for at least an hour or up to over night.  Bake tofu for 30 minutes at 350 flipping once 15 minutes through.  Add a bit of water to the baking pan and increase heat to 500 for an other 15 minutes.  If you'd like a more pronounced lemon flavor, add the lemon juice during the last five minutes of baking.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Wash and dice potatoes (you can peel them if you like, but I prefer to keep the skins on for extra nutrition) and rapid boil them for about ten minutes.  Drain potatoes, mash them and then add spices and a bit of soymilk or veggie broth as needed to get the proper consistency.

Lemony Sauteed Brussel Sprouts

Drizzle a bit of olive oil on a frying pan and saute on medium to high heat for five minutes or so.  Season with salt and pepper and in the last minute of cooking add the lemon juice.



Enjoy your meal!! I found it to be very tasty and flavorful, though in the future I might go with a sauce or drizzle of some sort.  I recommend a nice white wine mustard sauce or perhaps a balsamic reduction to finish off the dish.





No comments:

Post a Comment