Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Creamy Potato Soup

I can't believe I've gone a month without posting a recipe! Please excuse my absence from posting but my camera has been giving me issues so I haven't been able to capture any of my recent recipes. However I did come across these photos from a delicious creamy potato soup I made a few weeks ago that I would love to share.

It's that wonderful time of the year where the air smells of falling leaves and crisp coolness and all I want to do is bake and make soup. Hope this recipe warms you all up on a nice chilly autumn afternoon~


Ingredients:
6 large potatoes peeled and cubed
1 small onion diced
3 cloves of garlic
1 tablespoon of olive oil
6 cups of vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
'Bacon' bits and sour cream for garnish

Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil and fast boil 1 of the 6 potatoes until about fork tender. Then set aside.  I like to to have a smooth creamy soup with some bite size pieces of potato in there so I save that one diced potato to put in at the end.

Now in a larger pot saute the diced onion and garlic in the olive oil for a couple of minutes.  Add remaining 5 diced potatoes and cook for an other minute or two.  Add 6 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a boil until potatoes are falling apart tender.

In a few batches add potatoes and broth into blender and blend until nice and smooth.  You might not need to use all the broth or you may need to add more depending on how thick you'd like your soup to be.  Add pureed soup and the 1 diced potato you had set aside into a saucepan and heat for a few minutes.  You can even stir in a tablespoon or two of sour cream for extra creaminess.



Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a healthy sprinkling of bacon bits (the generic brand tends to be vegan) and even fresh chopped chives.  I served this soup with a simple spinach and carrot salad and fresh homemade bread from this recipe: http://www.veggienumnum.com/2011/06/focaccia/

No comments:

Post a Comment