Sunday, November 11, 2012

Chipotle BBQ Cauliflower with Sweet Potato Fries



From age 15-21 I was all about the internet and all it had to offer.  Starting from fanficiton.net, livejournal, and myspace I couldn't get enough of forums, internet social circles and anything else you can find on the web.  By 19 I was a google partner for my own vegan beauty youtube channel, was an active part of various livejournal communities, and my internet friends far outnumbered my 'in real life' friends.  However, now at 25, I've found I don't keep up with a lot of these sites. I never became a facebook addict nor have I been able to jump on the bandwagon of all the sites like instagram, tumblr, ect.  Perhaps it's for the best!

Anyway, I share this with you all, because in the last few months I have discovered a new addiction... pinterest!  How is possible to spend hours on such a simple site?  Perhaps I'll never know but I do owe pinterest a big part in my inspiration for this meal I am about to share.  Circling around the 'food' pinterest boards has been this image of delicious buffalo cauliflower bites which I believe originally stemmed from a recipe on the peta website.

Today, I bring you guys my own personal tweaks to this recipe along with a simple sweet potato fries and homemade ranch dressing recipe as well.  Hope you all enjoy!

Chipotle BBQ Cauliflower Bites

Ingredients:
1 head of cauliflower
1/2 cup of bbq sauce (store bought or homemade)
1 tablespoon of smoked chipotle hot sauce
2 tablespoons of vegan margarine
Optional Breading ingredients:
3/4 cup of flour
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup of soymilk or water

Carrots and celery for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 and spray a large glass baking pan with non stick spray. Wash and break apart cauliflower into bite size pieces.  If you choose to do the breading mix together the flour and spices and then add into the soymilk or water.  Toss cauliflower pieces in breading mixture and then spread into baking pan so that they are not overlapping. It's okay if they touch though.  Roast for about 20 minutes.  Meanwhile, melt your margarine in a sauce pan and then add the BBQ sauce and hot sauce.  After the 20 minutes, pour the sauce all over the cauliflower and carefully stir to that all pieces are coated.  Roast for an additional 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Enjoy with some carrots, celery, and  homemade vegan ranch dressing!


Homemade Vegan Ranch Dressing:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of vegan tofu sour cream
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
1 tablespoon of parsely (dried or fresh)
Salt to taste

Combines all ingredients together in a bowl and allow to sit for ten minutes to allow flavors to intermix.





Simple Sweet Potato Fries

Ingredients:
1 Sweet Potato
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425. Rinse sweet potato and slice into thin, fry like pieces.  Place in a pot of boiling water for 5-7 minutes until sweet potatoes become soft but are not falling apart.  Carefully drain sweet potatoes and then place on a non-stick baking tray.  Spray lightly with non-stick spray and then lightly top with salt and pepper.  Bake for about 15-20 minutes until fries become crispy on the outside but soft and tender on the inside.  Remove from oven and toss lightly with a little more salt and pepper to taste.


Hope you all enjoy these recipes and get to try some the next time you are craving a healthier version to some tasty 'bar food.'





No comments:

Post a Comment