Friday, January 25, 2013

Tofu 'Crab' Salad over Steamed Swiss Chard

Before I went vegan, I always hated seafood.  Sure some sushi was fine, maybe some processed fish sticks, but otherwise I always stayed clear of anything from the sea.  However, for some reason, now that I have been vegan for 6 years I find myself attracted to mimicking the flavors of those foods I once abhorred.  Today, I bring you all one of my favourite recreations: crab salad.



Ingredients:
1 14oz package of extra firm tofu
2 carrots, minced
2 celery, minced
1 small onion, minced
1/2 green bell pepper, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup toasted bread crumbs
2 tablespoons of seaweed flakes (you can also use arame but I just cut up a nori sheet)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of old bay seasoning

First, tear apart two slices of bread into food processor and process until they become medium crumbs.  Place in oven at 425 degrees for a few minutes, moving the crumbs frequently, until they become golden.  Set aside.

Roughly chop onion, bell pepper, carrots, and celery and place into food processor.  Process until all components are minced.  Place all minced veggies, except garlic, in a non stick pan and cook for several minutes until they begin to soften and onion is transluscent.  Add garlic and cook for an other minute.  Crumble tofu and add to pan, along with all seasonings, and cook for a few more minutes until tofu begins to brown.  Toss in breadcrumbs and remove from heat.



I served this over some steamed swiss chard and topped it with sliced avocado with a fresh lemon wedge.  It was quite tasty! Hope you all enjoy~



No comments:

Post a Comment