Monday, December 31, 2012

New Years Eve Breakfast: Coconut Lemon French Toast with Fresh Sparkling Juice

Happy New Years Eve everyone!  I love any sort of holiday as an excuse to make a themed meal and New Years Eve is no exception to this.  For the first time in three years I actually have NYE off, however with no big parties or events to attend, I decided I would have to make my own fun day filled with themed food, going to the movies, and bar hopping in the night.

To start the morning right and end the year with a tasty breakfast I went with  coconut sugar and lemon crusted french toast served with fresh sparkling apple pear ginger juice.  Hope you all enjoy this breakfast and have a wonderful New Yeas Eve!



Serves 2

Ingredients:

6 slices of bread (I used whole wheat but any kind will do. Make sure it is on the staler side though)
1/4 cup of flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of salt
3/4 cup of coconut milk
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of coconut extract (optional)

1 tablespoon of lemon zest
1/4 cup of shredded coconut flakes
2 tablespoons of sugar


Mix dry ingredients together and then add in wet ingredients in a shallow mixing bowl (I use a pie tin make my mixture).  Heat large sauce pan and spray with non-stick spray or a little vegan butter.  Dip bread into mixture until all of it is coated on both sides but do not let it sit in the mixture or become too saturated.  Place in pan and cook on medium heat until both sides are golden brown.

While french toast is cooking, blend sugar and coconut flakes in a food processor for a minute or so until the flakes are much smaller and the sugar has become crushed and almost 'glittery.'  Add lemon zest to mixture and sprinkle on top of cooked french toast.





If you have the luck of having a juicer, my fresh juice was a simple combination of 2 pears, 3 apples, half a lemon, and two thumb sized pieces of ginger.  I then topped it off with some sparkling water.



Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment